Richard is a Serial Entrepreneur who has created and run several businesses. He has also worked as a Professor at Arizona State University, school of management (for six years); he has authored six books, including Proven Practical Innovation That Delivers Results; he was the VP of Marketing at Gallo Winery for 10 years; and was the senior leader in sales at Procter & Gamble for 16 years!
What’s something that most people don’t know about you?
- Richard is all about innovation and helping people learn / understand this is the key. That’s why he started podcasting.
- 75% of all new, innovative ideas fail within 5 years, if not sooner.
Lessons learned in podcasting
- The 1 main reason people fail – tune in!
- # 1 Innovation Success Dynamic: the ONE thing it MUST do is convince a competitive user to switch to your product/service.
- What does it take to get someone to switch?… A dramatically better set of benefits
- 3 Things you MUST communicate to your listeners:
o Communicate a very clear benefit – what need will you meet for them?
o Give them a reason to BELIEVE you can actually DELIVER the benefit
o Tell listeners how what you offer is dramatically better than some, most, or all of the alternatives out there
- Learn MORE about innovation rather than entrepreneurship
- Features vs. Benefits – Benefits are KEY!!!!
Tips for growing & monetizing your podcasting
- Targets Chief Innovation Directors
- Invites them to be interviewed on his podcast
- Helps him to develop relationships with the key people
- E-mail blasts