Rodney Holder has been a drummer, performer, writer, concert promoter, and artist manager for over 25 years.
Between 1990 and 2010 Rodney and his band released numerous internationally acclaimed albums, toured internationally, and performed at some of the world’s biggest metal festivals in Europe – sharing the bills with the likes of Iron Maiden, Slayer, Judas Priest, and Kiss to name a few.
In 2013 Rodney launched MusicBusinessFacts.com, a music business blog and podcast that interviews successful music industry professionals who share their stories, strategies and tips for success in the music business. He and his podcast were recently featured in Rolling Stone Magazine Australia.
Rodney is now also running his own music business consultancy business and monetizing as a direct result of the podcast.
What do you have going on right now?
- Rodney is focused on his music business: teaching musicians how to get their music out there.
- Rodney and Brian talk about the importance of mindset. You have to be positive about the path you’re on and intentional with your actions!
Lessons learned in podcasting
- The networking has been spectacular! Networking is so important.
- Rodney’s 20-year music career has allowed him to get to know and build amazing relationships with managers, publicists, executives, and it’s given him the opportunity to interview the music greats.
- Rodney compares the secret to success in the music industry to the podcasting industry: preserver! And of course, you’ve gotta have passion for what you’re doing.
- Growth strategies:
○ Providing the BEST quality content you can;
○ Serving your listeners FIRST;
○ Become the authority in your niche!
- Monetization strategies:
○ Was doing his podcast for 1 year before he ever monetized.
○ Rodney created a course for his audience based on the pain points his audience was expressing.
○ He also offers coaching services for musicians (using his passion & his expertise to serve others in a meaningful way.)
What struggles have you faced in getting started?
- Podcasting has been an AMAZING springboard for Rodney’s business, but it took time, practice and patience.
- Rodney and Brian talk about tough love (and asking ourselves tough questions)… is our podcast ready?
- Podcasting is like playing a musical instrument – we MUST practice and get better and better in order to be successful! “Keep rockin’ it!” 🙂
“Have passion, patience, AND persistence”
“You never know when you might get your lucky break.”
Thanks to our Host, @IAmTheRealBrian for another amazing Podcasters’ Paradise Interview!
Join us on our next Free, Live Podcast Workshop!