John is the host of the Voice Over Marketing Podcast and a nationally recognized voice over talent. John is the voice of the intros for Pat Flynn’s Smart Passive Income Podcast, Michael Stelzner’s Social Media Examiner Podcast, Amy Porterfield’s Online Marketing Made Easy podcast and many more! John is also the Production Director for CBS Radio Boston’s award winning Mix 104.1 (WBMX). John’s reputation for creating effective radio commercials that sell for the station and its clients continues to grow.
What don’t most people know about you?
John was a lobbyist for the Real Estate Industry!
Wondering what that means?… tune in to hear John talk all about what this entailed. (Hint: he’s met 2 US presidents!)
What do you have going on right now?
- In radio right now in Boston
- Also has his own Voice Over biz (you’ve heard him if you listen to Pat Flynn’s podcast, he’s been on Amy Porterfield’s podcast…) He LOVES production
- John & Bryan chat about the book The Long Tail by Chris Anderson
- Voice of Pat Flynn’s SPI Intro
- “No experience is ever wasted” – John talks about what this has meant on his journey
Lessons learned in podcasting
- Fell in love with podcasting after doing voice overs for others (started listening to the podcasts he did voice overs for)
- Always wanted to be a talk show host, and thought, why not podcasting?
- Has marketing experience, so why not pair his passion and expertise in order to:
- Show up where no one else is – be unique
- Wanted to create his OWN assets
- Things you might not consider marketing, are marketing
- Top marketing strategies
- Show up where no one else is
- “No experience is ever wasted” – what knowledge, hobbies, experiences do you have that you can pull from? Understand what that is, and apply it to your business
- Don’t just go after the next hot thing just because it’s hot – “bright shiny object syndrome”
John and Bryan have a powerful conversation about focusing on what’s important and what you’re good at. How you manage your time with emails, social media – it’s everything.
Focus on one or two technologies and do them well – don’t get consumed with too many options! Do what you do best.
Essentialism by Greg McKeown – read this book!! Struggle with managing your time and working most efficiently? This book will change your life!
“Every time you say yes to one thing, you’re saying no to something else. …so, what will you get rid of?”
What struggles have you faced in getting started?
- Talks about wanting to batch more of his tasks
- Wants to start “theming” his days
- We’re all in a huge learning curve with how people are communicating with each other – technology is a beast right now… BE IN THE MOMENT!
John talks about his passion for being mindful and in the moment.
Biggest success moment
John talks about how he’s created products, affiliates, mastermind groups – all from the podcast, but the most rewarding thing for him has been the feedback from the listeners – hearing how it has impacted them and helped them.
Best advice for other podcasters?
- Strategy to grow your podcast: be strategic about the guests you get! (…and he doesn’t mean that they’re a huge name… listen in – this advice is golden!)
- Use good “headlines” to get influencer’s (and audience member’s) attention on Twitter (if they aren’t going to share your show, then leverage their celebrity to get others’ attention.)
- Enjoy the process!
- Don’t compare yourself to another podcaster.
Eat, Move, Sleep by Tom Rath
Eat well, exercise, and REST!!
Thanks to our Host, @IAmTheRealBrian for another amazing Podcasters’ Paradise Interview!
Get your Free Podcast Course and learn how to podcast in 15 days for free!